Re: 16" Pancake Coil discharge photos

Original poster: "Jeff Behary" <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Bart,

The largest flat spiral coils I've made were 24" and 48" diameters - very different though!

The 24" coil used 1mm thick x 25mm PVC "edgebanding" for insulation between the turns. It used 30 AWG wire. I tested it at 7500V .032 mfd with a 5-series tungsten spark gap for approx. 4 seconds - I got an amazing 24"+ spark from the top when the whole coil died instantly from an internal short due to the PVC interleaves not giving a sufficient insulation. It was fun while it lasted.

The 48" coil was originally a primary coil for a 10.75" OD 3 foot tall secondary coil. (Odd size, but worked well!). The coil was 48" OD 12" ID with around 25 turns of solid 10 AWG wire. For the flat experiment I used the outer turn as the primary and the inner turns as the secondary. I was getting powerful 4" sparks from a simple 15kV 30mA neon and a two-quart leyden jar. This was years before I started making Pancakes...

I also have two 18" diameter coils with 1" IDs wound with 10 AWG parallel stranded wire, asbestos coating (?or something similar?). These were more for demonstrating inductive effects...there is a frenchman W. H. Guilleminot that did a lot of research in flat coils. He wrote a few books in the 20s.
I have one translation that I have to scan for the site...

I have another 18" diameter flat coil wound with 21 AWG wire. It gives 8" arcs, but works better as a P:S for my Pancake magnifier system. One day I attached a wire leading to a 5" diameter x 24" tall helix coil (close wound 24 AWG) and saw 4 foot arcs from the top to the ceiling of our spare bedroom! That was a surprise.

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2006/18inPancake/index.htm
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/Forgotten_Tesla_Technologies/Magnifier_Pancake_System/index.htm

Tonight I finished a replacement coil for the floor model demo unit - it is about 14" in diameter, and this time cast it into a glass lamp shade so that I could see all of the windings were permeated completely. I used a mixture of linseed oil and beeswax that hardened to a consistency of peanut butter. In initial testing I was getting nice crackling 6" sparks and no signs of breakdown whatsoever.

For more on Pancake Coils in general, check out these pages:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2006/PancakeCoils.htm

There is a lot of general information, but I haven't updated it with coils made in the last months...

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com

_