Re: PIRANHA - New Top Load Configuration

Hi Terry,

Love it!  It will look even better once you coat the secondary.

However, don't pull a Bart!!!!

This weekend, I finished winding a small 1.3" x 9" secondary for a tiny coil I'm building for a friend. Well, once wound, I set it up in a rig with a motor (horizontal) to keep the secondary turning during coating. I went to recheck it (4 hours later, 1st coat), only to find the form jammed and the motor kept turning. The motor end caught the bottom lead and slowly unwound the coil to about 1/2 of it's length. DOH!!! I simply turned off the motor, the light in the garage, and walked away. This was right after I watched my Vikings crumble like little girls to the 49ers! Very depressing week.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi,

The PIRANHA coil is finally going ;-))

For primary tuning, I set up the signal generator to frequency sweep from 100kHz to 110kHz.

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Tuning.JPG

This gave me a nice graph to show the primary frequency:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/tuning.gif

One "nice cable position" gave me 102.5kHz with is close enough  :-)

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/PIRANHA-Const-012.JPG

I then bolted it all together to finish it up (still need to poly coat the secondary coil):

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Complete-1.JPG

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Complete-2.JPG

Here it is doing 25 inch arcs at 1/2 power:

http://drsstc.com/~piranha/PIRANHA/PIRANHA-2/Firing.JPG

I can't run full power indoors. I loose about 10% in spark length due to the hidden primary (lower coupling) but it wants to arc "too far" already :-D

So it turned out real good!!

Cheers,

   Terry