16" Pancake Coil discharge photos

Original poster: "Jeff Behary" <jeff_behary@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Here is a 1/4 KW power supply operating a 16" Pancake Coil. Unfortunately, the coil only lasted a week. There was an air pocket in the secondary coil that turned into a pancake on fire...

Why make a big coil and small power supply? The discharges can be studied over a wide range and tweaked to see what changes when the current, capacity, and voltage are adjusted. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to make film autographs of any of the phenomenon. Next time.

There were some unique characteristics though. The apparatus consumed only 250 watts, and I wired a large variac as a variable reactance coil in series with the transformer to limit the current from nil to max in very small increments...along with careful adjustment of the spark gap and condenser. At some points the discharge sounded more like that of a static machine than a Tesla Coil. At the point that it caught on fire, I knew it was still a Tesla Coil :) ... and, a new coil is already nearly completed...extra insulation and all!

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2006/FloorModelPancake/index.htm

Jeff Behary, c/o
The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com

___