Re: dual MOT Tesla coil design is complete (fwd)

Hi David,

When I started coiling with a 10kva pig, I was using my 13.5" diameter coil, the transformer thumped with fast current changes. I came across a 10 ohm 3000W resistor (HUGE!!). The resistor was wire wound on a very thick ceramic cylinder. I measured to the center and snipped the winding. Thus, I had two 5 ohm resistors on the same ceramic cylinder. I then paralleled these windings for 2.5 ohms and used this in series with my variac ballast.

The thumping was gone. I used it for a couple years, but was never satisfied with spark length. I eventually removed it. Spark length was better and brighter. The thumping I had originally experienced never did show up again, but then the coil itself had changed over time (added 12" length to the secondary, new primary, new sparkgap, etc..).

I guess my experience is that it certainly did smooth out the change in current curves, but it does dissipate power which robs coil processing power. Not terribly though. I think there are systems where it's appropriate and systems where it's not necessary. The coil itself and the drive system powering it determine it's worth, in my mind.

Take care,
Bart

Anyone else have data from using resistance in combo with
inductance for ballasting their large coils? In my experience,
the resistance does tend to smooth out the choppiness of an
overpowered/poorly quenching RSG (good), but it also
really waste power in the form of heat (bad).

David Rieben