Re: Bi-Polar Design

Original poster: Shad <shenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've built a few VTTC bipolar coils. They're nice in that they end to cause less RF interference, you get longer sparklengh for a given input power, and you don't need a dedicated RF ground. Corona control at the ends of the secondary are a concern, so I usually used the 1.5x6" spun aluminum toroids (from John Freau), and wire coathangers for electrodes. I've never had a problem acring down he secondary coil, but these were all tube powered coils. Supporting the secondary can be a fun experience. I usually use 2 discs and wooden dowels to wind the primary and feedback coil on, with a hole cut in the discs that the secondary slides through and rests on. Then I urethane the heck out of the primary/grid assembly. Never had any problems with flashover or creepage. I've used lexan, well-urethaned masonite, and thin MDF for the supports. Generally the ends of the secondary aren't supported at all. If you did need to support the secondary, I'd leave 4-5" of unwound space at each end, and use a lexan "cradle" to hold up the secondary form, and a ceramic insulator to support the cradle. Some plasic creepage discs between the ends of the winding and the support cradle at the end of the secondary may help discourage it from flashing over to ground. Another issue is the distance to the floor. It'll affect tuning, and possible cause the coil to arc to the floor instead of beween the electrodes. Cool looking, but probably not the intended effect.
Hope it helps!

Shad H.

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Ralph Zekelman" <gridleak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Patrick and Dr. Nicholson,

I will be interested in hearing about the developing bi-polar. There are
several photos of my bi-polar coils at http://hot-streamer.com/temp/RalphsCoil/
The coils shown have all been capable of a spark equal to the length of the
secondary except for the giant 48-inch coil which had serious problems of
not being able to support the weight of the "rabbit ear" arms.

I experimented with various arrangements to bring the arms up at
a right angle to the long axis of the secondary. This is probably the
usual method. I also tried various mechanical arrangements to bring
the arms out some distance parallel to the long axis of the secondary before
curving them towards the center. I could never overcome the weight problem.

How are you planning to design the arms? Where will you mount
the 3 x 14 toroids?

Finally, I have what may be the winning entry in the stupid question contest:
As the voltage across the ends of the secondary must increase as the arm
spacing increases, is it ever possible to get a spark longer than the length
of the secondary? Is this just a matter of insulation design or will the spark
always arc the shorter distance directly across the secondary (probably
arcing to the nearest primary turn.)

Ralph