Re: Slide choke - second request for advise !!

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

yup, that's fine.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2006 12:35 PM
Subject: Re: Slide choke - second request for advise !!

Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks mike. I'll go ahead and wind it long and narrow. The real problem
with the laminations is that the stack tends to bulgein the middle. This is
where They need the weld bead. You said the middle is where theflux is most
severe, but I think you mean the inside of the core. So is a bead on the
outside of the center of the core ok?Original poster: "Mike"
mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I guess it depends on what your goals are. If weight/cost is not a
consideration and your going for max efficiency (mostly L with little R)
then the core would be close to cube shaped with 1:1 turns ratio. Most are
longish for economic/weight reasons. If you don't mind losing a few more
watts of heat and having a bit more of a voltage drop, use what you have. As
far as welding laminations, that also makes little difference. Maybe a few
watts in eddy currents there out of 12kW+ (most of the flux is in the center
and not the corners/outer edges of the cross-section), as long as the bead
is thin.