Re: Max anode voltage?

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 5/17/06 9:32:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Tesla list wrote:
>Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx
>In a message dated 5/17/06 6:25:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>Hi Bert,
>I tried the debarnacling an 833A tube.  It turns out the manufacturer
>put a spark gap in the tube, and it kept sparking at that area.  I got
>nowhere with the process.  I didn't persue it or try other types of tubes.
>John

Hi John,

That's very interesting! Do you happen to remember the manufacturer
of the tube?

I wonder if this might be an "undocumented feature" (from a specific
manufacturer?) to otherwise prevent inter-element arcing damage
during operation.

Bert

Hi Bert,

I don't remember the brand name.  I seem to remember that
the mfr. riveted a little stud to
a part of the plate assembly near the top where it exits the glass.
This stud is close to another metal part of the tube and it arcs
there.  It doesn't look exactly like a spark gap but it behaved like
one.  I agree that the feature is probably to prevent inter-element
arcing damage.  I just now checked a few other 833A tubes and
they don't have the feature, or it's not as pronounced.  It seems
they might allow some metal parts to get close enough here and
there to permit arcing.  In some cases the system might look
less like an actual spark gap.  I don't know.  I should have
checked out other tubes at the time to compare but I didn't.

John