Re: Racing Spark Prediction

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Since I can't contribute with the math, I can contribute with a picture of racing sparks.
http://tesladownunder.com/TeslaPhysicsRun5secs.jpg
This secondary was also arcing internally which was why I was pushing harder with poor results.

Peter

Hi Bob,

I think that the theory is that racing arcs are caused by a reflection of a third harmonic bouncing back from the top of the coil on the first cycle. Paul or Dmitry can confirm that. Having the top third of the coil reverse wound is supposed to squash that 3rd harmonic reflection and perhaps cure the racing arc. At least that is how I understand it.

I imagine there is a "perfect" place for the reverse winding to begin other that the exact 2/3 point up the coil. But something like Paul's program would be needed to find that. The reversed windings would change the inductance quite a bit though so it would be a little hard to make a direct comparison. But if the idea holds true, the difference in eliminating the racing arcs should be dramatic.

Cheers,

        Terry