Re: SSTC transformers

Original poster: "Andrew Bonnell" <andrewbonnell@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks a lot for the advice. As a related question, how important are fast switching times on the IGBT?

All of these questions are in reference to the SGF5N150UF IGBT from fairchild semiconductors ( datasheet)*. It has a high (from what I could find) voltage rating, and it switches really fast. The current that the device can sustain is considerably lower than some of the other coils I have seen, so would it be advisable to parallel several of these devices, or just go with a higher current IGBT?

*  http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/SG/SGF5N150UF.html

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

Actually, in regard to my comment regarding the 1000V - Vce, after
re-reading what i said, i realized my statement was incorrect.  I was
meaning to say that the maximum voltage seen on an IGBT (neglecting
noise / voltage spiking, etc...) would be the Rail Voltage (1000V) - Vce
(assuming one IGBT conducting), and not the rail-to-rail voltage.

Regards,
Dan