Re:

Original poster: Jared E Dwarshuis <jdwarshui@xxxxxxxxx>

#1)

Velocity factors from radio handbooks describe the velocity down a
single wire with a ballpark figure of around .95C . Proximity to
ground and other factors presumably change this.

Yes, and this is for a straight wire, one that is not magnetically coupled to other turns of the coil. If the coupling was uniform from primary to each turn of the secondary, I bet, the velocity factor would more respresent the straight line (thru the air) path.

The only velocity factor measurements for a  Tesla coil that I am
aware of were made by Paul Nicholson and company. His subsequent
computer simulations for coils with a variety of H/D ratios showed
that the velocity factor could go as high as twice the speed of
light.

(But our experiments demonstrate that this is not true.)
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mssd/jed/capacitance.html

Please keep in mind that Paul's velocity factors higher than 1.0 does not mean that relativity is being violated. It just means that the power flow around the coil form is taking a shorter path then the wire path. A careful calculation of Poyntings vector will show this. I get the feeling that apples are being compared to organges. At least I hope so, as I believe the two of you could resolve your differences.

Gerry R