straight wire.
2) Adding a topload drops the operating frequency ~50% and alters the
current distribution.

#1)

Velocity factors from radio handbooks describe the velocity down a
single wire with a ballpark figure of around .95C . Proximity to
ground and other factors presumably change this.

Velocity factors for twin leads become even more complicated. If the
current flows in opposite directions you get a diffrent velocity
factor then if they travelled in the same direction.

Velocity factor also change, when we go from an individual pulse to a
chain of sinusoidal pulses.

The only velocity factor measurements for a  Tesla coil that I am
aware of were made by Paul Nicholson and company. His subsequent
computer simulations for coils with a variety of H/D ratios showed
that the velocity factor could go as high as twice the speed of
light.

(But our experiments demonstrate that this is not true.)
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mssd/jed/capacitance.html

#2)

We operate coils at the wire length and have found that top end
capacitance requirements are mainly a function of the amount of
current you want to process. Large top ends have not mean a change in
tank frequency.

Large top ends may change the ratio of conduction current to
displacment current, but I would not assume that this alters the
distribution of their sum.

Sincerely: Jared Dwarshuis