Re: Sold state IGBT disruptive coil spark gap idea

Hi,

I just did some high current testing.

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/Sidac-Gap-5.pdf

Looks like the IGBT I have been using is good to 350 amps. That is OK for most coils but I was hoping to get to 500 amps. At about 380 peak amps the IRG4PSH71KDPBF pulls out of saturation.

I could push 550 amps through it but it was pulling way out of saturation at that point. But it did not harm the circuit ;-) For really high peak currents, a "bigger" IGBT will be needed. That should just be a matter of using a different IGBT without any other circuit modifications.

I have now done all the testing I can think of on the bench. I am not going to work on sync triggering or quenching at the moment, but rather work on getting a real coil going now ;-))

Cheers,

        Terry