Re: coilform size and AWG wire wize

Hi D.C.,

I'm running a very simple 12/60 operation with a variac for mains voltage control. I can turn the variac up to 140 Vac with best sparks. I've had this coil run "not the greatest" in the past with misc. topload configurations, tuning, coupling, etc. I rebuilt the primary (same as before) and set the tap to Javatc (no special tuning beyond that). What I have done is reduce the primary C to 0.0188 uF vs a previous 0.025 uF. A simple vacuum static gap.

I'd show you pics, but apparently my batteries have been stolen by, "TEENAGERS"; ARGHHHH!!!

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "D.C. Cox" <mailto:resonance@xxxxxxxxxx><resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Bart:

Are you running a 12 kV 30 mA or 60 mA xmfr with this setup? Sounds like a very nice coil.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mailto:bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx><bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As mentioned my sec is 4.5" x 21.8085" wound with 24 awg. It's 895 turns (had to remove 5 turns due to a pin point breakout right at the top a few weeks ago when testing other primary configurations). My topload is 6.25" x 21". It's operating excellent right now using a static gap (1.25" x 3" copper tubing with .05" spacing between 6 tubes, 0.25" total). It's a vacuum gap. I've found the copper tubing to be superior to the solid brass which contradicts my statements in this area previously. The guys talking about thermal superiority using the copper tubes were correct. So out with the brass. Sure looked nice though.

Coupling is 0.129. The bottom sec winding and flat primary are even on the same plane. Free-air spark lengths are around 54" and my son mentioned a couple days ago that it's the smoothest running coil he's seen me build. This coil is also wound on a black pvc tube. Cap size is configured for 0.0188 uF and the inner primary is 1.48" from secondary (1/4" tubing, 1/4" spacing edge to edge tapped at 8.4 turns.

Take care,
Bart