Re: Setting up a pole pig's wiring

Hi Adam,

Regardless of what the name plate states, there is a standard. Your particular transformer is labeled "correctly". X1-X2-X3 with X2 being neutral. This is the standard for Additive Polarity of which distribution pole transformers are wired. If the pole transformer was 3 phase, you would have 3 hv terminals. In that case, H3-H2-H1 with H1 on the left looking from the LV bushing side.

The standard relates to the direction of induced voltage, from HV winding to LV winding. The standard is necessary to properly parallel 3-phase and 1-phase transformers as well as connecting to existing equipment, not to mention setting up potential and current transformers for monitoring.

A potential transformer is different. It is Subtractive Polarity.
Looking from the LV side, H1 is on the left and H2 is on the right.
Looking form the LV side, X1 is on the left and X2 is on the right.

Note, the X numbering is opposite hand to what was mentioned earlier with the distribution transformer (X1 on the right, etc..).

BTW, the term "polarity" refers to how the leads are brought out of the transformer. Induce H1 to H2, and X1 to X2 would have the same polarity (same phase). That is essentially why there is a standard.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

Sounds like there isn't any consistancy with pig LV
designation. Dr. R's use X1 and X2, mine uses X1 and
X3, with X2 being neutral, and Gerry stated his were
all simply X.

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/garage/pig_14.4kV_25kVA_3.jpg

Adam