Re: Setting up a pole pig's wiring

Hi Gerry,

H1 is connected to a bushing and one outer hv winding.
H2 is connected to a bushing. The wire from the bushing is the common to the tap. The tap wiring (1 through 5) run down between the LV and HV windings attaching near the bottom of the winding. There is no hv center connection to the core. It's a single winding which is wound around the LV winding. H1 appears to be nearest the inside of the coil, so the H2 would end up towards the outer side nearest the outer core. That's why I referenced H2 to RF ground. However, I doubt it makes any difference which hv bushing runs to the core, otherwise, we probably would have had issues in the past by now.

Two HV coils would make no sense (electrically) for single phase buck-boost transformer (a few hundred volts). My diagram on the pig for the hv side shows a single coil with the tap diagram in the center, however, that doesn't indicate two coils. The taps must be on one end of the winding for the typical few hundred volt taps.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Bart,

When you say H2 is the side closes to the core, are you saying the inner winding of the H2 coil goes to the bushing. Could you describe the HV winding geometry?? one coil or two??? and how the inner/outer windings are connected??? My nameplate suggest two HV coils, but if this is the case, it would make no sense to me why the inner winding of one of the coils would be brought out to the HV bushing. Everything you have said would make perfect sense if there was only one HV coil.

Gerry R.

You're concern is certainly valid because we got our X's and H's mixed up. H2 should be at RF ground. This is the HV side closest to the core and when looking at the LV bushings, H2 is the HV bushing on the right.