Re: Sold state IGBT disruptive coil spark gap idea

Hi John,

Interesting, on my static gap TC, I scoped the primary and most bangs were 1st or 2nd notch quenched. Now that Im using a rotary, its not as obvious on the scope. I dont remember seeing any subsequent notches even though the mechanical dwell time would support it. Maybe this is because the gap separation is so small that voltage at the rsg gap doesnt change noticably. Maybe I need to monitor the voltage at the cap/primary node. If what you say is true, then maybe this 1st notch quenching is not as important as it seems.

I wonder how accurate JAVATC's predicted k is and if this can be a basis for comparing different coils and avoid the measurement.

Gerry R.

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx