Re: Need GE MOV data

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx
Gary

Watch the MOV's.  They have a nasty habit of failing shorted.
I was testing some brand new electronics assemblies early
in  my career.  The assembly had GE V130LA20A
(130Vrms 200Vpk, 20J) across incoming AC line.  Plugged
unit in, turn Control Power on ..... KKAAAAABOOOOM!!!!!

I thought the world had ended (and I had bought some
electronics   :^C )  It was loud enough that I was surrounded
by co-workers in about 10 secs.  Turned out the MOV's
were _soldered_ into crimp connectors, then tightened
down in a screw barrier teminal block.  Soldering MOV's is
a NO-NO unless you heat sink them.  You will shift the zener
knee voltage LOWER, and they will blow-up!  OBTW, after
replacing with a new MOV _mechanically_crimped_ into
stak-ons and rewiring terminal strip, everything was OK and
no damage to sub-assembly was done (except for the black
smudge spot on the aluminum bracket ...  :^D  )

If you do use a MOV, put an OCD (fuse, CB) in line with them to
limit the "magic smoke release" when they do fail.

John A.:  This tale of excitement also colloborates your
               USN comments.  The MOV when is let go threw a
               plasma fireball the size of a tangerine!!  I wasn't
               hurt; my pants, that's a different matter   ;^)

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>