Re: NST farm

Hi Ben,

I'm not too sure what the maximum practical number of NSTs
that you can gang together on standard residnetial service would be, but for a typical 20 amp 120 volt service, that means that the maximum "volt-amp" rating is 2400 (2.4 kVA). So for 15/30 NSTs (that's 450 volt-amps each) 5 would be the limit there, as far as that goes. However,
you can indeed gang your farm for series-parallel input to paral-
lel output and run it on a 240 volt circuit, so long as you have an
even number of NSTs. If you're looking for a lot of power for a
big coil, though, for say 5 kVA or bigger, then a pole pig is much more
practical (and cheaper too) that a dozen or more NSTs. Plus a
pole pig is darn-near bullet proof in Tesla service, unlike "over-
voltage fragile" NSTs. Many an ameture coiler has fried out their
NST (s) by opening up the spark gap too wide for longer and
longer sparks while running with a near resonant sized primary
capacitor, without a "Terry filter"! (not good) However, the list of folks that have managed to burn out a pole pig in Tesla ser-
vice is a short one indeed and I would just about imagine that
the ones that were fried happened to be defective and/or the experimenter was intentionally trying to "fry it" ;^)

So I guess the bottom line is, how big of a coil are you wanting to
build? For anything at or below 2 kVA, I'd opt for the NST or
NST "farm", as a pole pig is really impractically large for power levels this low. For power levels significantly above 2 or 3 kVA,
you get into pig territory, for practicality.

Just MHO. YMMV.

David Rieben