Re: I'm a newbie coiler!- apartment coiling

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

from my twin-experience.

No need to wind one coil opposite to the others: winding all 4, the sec's and the prim's, in the same direction, then connecting the prim's "inner to inner and outer(=tap) to outer(=tap)" of the seriesed prim's gives the right phasing. In the ideal case, the center connection of the symmetric system would be just at zero potential, and Bert Hickman's statement would apply perfectly. ...but potential is not quite zero, because of the unavoidable capacitive imbalance of the surroundings. So, if disconnecting the ground attachment, replacing it by a small sparkgap, you will see it firing occasionally. ...or , opening it too much, sec to prim strikes may occur. For capacitive effects see also:

http://www.ttr.com/Model12_ITS_article.htm
..."System Design", near end of chapter.

Connecting the prim's the opposite way, you notice 2 sec's throwing leaders, each for itself, avoiding the connection of sparks, which, obviosuly, is not unexpected.

I'm using 2 twins in my basement lab, and indeed twins are an easy way to generate "big" sparks in a limited evironment: the older one is for ~2.2m and the newer(UBTT) for up to ~1.5m sparks. There is a little report on the UBTT at:

http://home.tiscalinet.ch/m.schraner/UBTT-Betrieb.pdf   (ca.4.5MB)
(Sorry for my US friends: it's in German language)

BTW: the prim's have been replaced by these nicer looking, and more efficent:
http://home.tiscalinet.ch/m.schraner/FlatPrim_1555.jpg

Some behaviour of my older twin can be had on my homepage:
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/movie1.htm

While, "thinking" the phases of the resonators might slightly drift away from each other during the end of the discharge cycle, I estimate, during the formation of the discharges, with conducting spark gap, they will be quite well in antiphase. Though sorry, not having measured evidence for it.

Best regards,  Kurt

Tesla list wrote:

Hi Steve,

I can see how the two secondaries are kept in sync while the primary
still has energy in it.  I can also see how sync is maintained after
quencing if the two secondary bases area connected and NOT
grounded.  But, I still dont know how sync is maintained if the two
bases ARE grounded.  Seems like one secondary know nothing about the
other secondary if it sees an "ideal" ground at its base.  Could it
be that a NON IDEAL ground is needed so the little voltage on the
ground (and at each base) acts like a base pumped coil.  If so, does
one coil need to be opposite wound from the other coil. I need to
ponder this.
Gerry R.