Re: Static Gap Break Rates

Original poster: smz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>
> 120Hz.  Wouldn't the 60Hz input limit the break rate
> to 120Hz for a properly set gap?  Based upon
> experience I realizes there must be more going on than
> just a simple RC circuit charging a capacitor. Am I

Check out the section on the following site regarding spark gaps:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

Basically, during the first half cycle of the input wave the capacitor
charges up until it gets to the voltage that causes the spark gap to fire.
The capacitor discharges extremely fast through the primary, and
eventually the arc in the spark gap quenches. As long as the arc stays
out, the capacitor will charge up again and fire the spark gap if it's
still in a part of the same first half-cycle that provides enough voltage
(and current) to recharge the cap to the point of firing again. If not,
then the polarity across the cap reverses and you'll have to wait for the
cap to charge up during the second half of the cycle.