Static Gap Break Rates

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

In a discussion today I realized that I can't explain
some assumptions I've accepted regarding static spark
gaps.

I've run a lot of designs through JAVATC and have
accepted that the break rate increases as current
increases (assuming all other things remain same).
Depending on the current available the capacitor
charges quicker and the break rate goes up.  What I
can't come to terms with is break rates in excess of
120Hz.  Wouldn't the 60Hz input limit the break rate
to 120Hz for a properly set gap?  Based upon
experience I realizes there must be more going on than
just a simple RC circuit charging a capacitor. Am I
missing the point?

Thanks,

Curt.