MOT Shunts?

Original poster: norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have read several web sites about MOTs and tesla coils.  From these sites I
have gathered that MOTs do not have shunts.  That is why they need to be
balasted.  Now I am reading all these posts about removing MOT shunts.  What's
going on?

I have built a tesla coil but it uses an NST.  I have not seen a MOT, so I have
no first hand knowledge of their construction.

The information that I have read on this list over the last few months has been
invaluable in getting my coil to work. Thanks,

Prof. Norm Scheinberg, City College of New York, EE Dept.