Re: Saturable Reactor Waveforms

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes.  I was planning on doing this, but for different
reasons (somebody suggested last week on hvlist and a
choke in series with the control might be needed in
order to eliminate harmonics).

Regarding the additive/subtractive flux, however, I
would hope to see things cancel out.  With the control
sides of the transformers in a pair being in phase
with each other, it seems like the control-induced
flux aids each transformer in opposite half cycles.
What this means in practice I'm not sure of, but will
endeavor to find out when my transformers finally
arrive.  It may have more of an impact in cases where
the MOT primaries in a pair are in series rather than
parallel, too, because if it influences the impedances
of the primaries in opposite half cycles, this would
seem likely to translate into much higher AC on the
control side by basically turning the pair into a
variable voltage divider.  ...but still, all
speculation.

Anyway, you're right, there is some very worthwhile
investigation to be done.  Carl already has a bunch of
stuff hooked up, and may be able to beat me to it.
Otherwise, I will definitely be looking into this.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE