RE: Saturable Reactor

Original poster: "Carl Litton" <Carl_Litton@xxxxxxxxxx>

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Carl,

No heating is definitely goodness!  How many amps were
you pushing?

*****Between 60 and 70 Amps

Regarding the "quads", why do you need all the MOT
primaries in a quad to be in series?

*****Some series on the primary side appears to be necessary to allow
the system to handle 240 VAC.  All attempts to use various parallel
arrangements that worked on 120 VAC failed instantly on a high current
demand 240 VAC circuit.

For each pair, what is the "error" (unwanted AC) on the control side?

******It varied up to 400 VAC

  Just as with the individual MOTs in a pair, I would
think you could group pairs in a quad such that the
errors on the control sides cancelled out as much as
possible rather than adding up.
Of course, if the
errors differ wildly between pairs, you're out of
luck.

******We were out of luck on this possibility - too much variation

Trouble is, if you have to resort to putting
the primaries in series just to reduce the error on
each pair (by cutting the primary voltage in half, or
close to it), then you really aren't getting any value
out of the quads except for elimination of the
unwanted AC by voltage division.  You don't have any
more power handling capability than if two low-error
pairs were used in place of the quads, which is too
bad.

******Well, the 110 lbs of core iron certainly helps in keeping the
system cool. ;)  My principle PSU is a 3 stack Variac that puts out
0-480 VAC with 240 VAC in.  The quad MOT series keeps me from being
limited to 240 primary Volts and having 2 of these in parallel looks
like it will cover most current demand.  I would, however, like to be
able to get the high end current up to 100 Amps for some work.

I ordered eight identical MOTs which still haven't
arrived.  I can't wait!!  I'm really hoping they are
sufficiently identical to avoid the need for a lot of
careful pairing/quading.  We'll see, though.

******** Sounds interesting, good luck!

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE

http://hvgroup.dawntreader.net/fullcontrolvoltage.jpg