Re: mini tesla form ignition coil

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor@xxxxxxxxx>

Adriano,

With an ignition coil from a car, you have to drive it with a high
frequency square wave (or at least have the current drop quickly) as
you have found.  Because of this, the secondary voltage is a high
frequency and won't work well to charge a cap as typially you need at
least one spark gap firing every cycle - kinda hard at 10 kHz or
higher.  Instead, you should rectify the output with some ultrafast
diodes.  I use SF1600's that you can get from Newark (though they
appear to be out of stock right now!).  The DC output can then be used
to charge the tank cap.  The charging current (thus charging
frequency) will determine the breakrate of the coil along with the gap
spacing and tank cap size.

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL