Re: rolled cap blowew out

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Chris Estes <estescc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I've just finished an interesting design thats yeilded about 6.7 nf
with I'm guessing 50 Kv strength. Its a stacked plate cap that uses
corrugated cardboard and mineral oil for the dielectric. I place 2
pieces of cardboard between each plate to give about 250 mil (3/4 cm)
spacing. All the pieces of cardboard are oriented so that when looking
down on the stack you can see through the corrugation if that makes
sense. then i place the stack in a container and fill it with oil. The
orientation of the cardboard lets the air bubbles flow up and out quite
nicely. The most expensive component is all the oil and, I believe,
they will have a 'self healing' quality. If theres a puncture, all I
need to do is shake it around to jostle the oil a bit. The dimensions
are about 20cm by 35 cm by 35 cm for, as I said, about 6.7 nf. If you
wanted more farads in less space then you could probably just use one
layer of cardboard but I just needed about 7 nf for my NST resonant
condition and wanted to be sure about the dielectric strength. I
haven't tried this out yet as I'm still building the rest of my coil
but I can't see any serious flaw in my design so far. Good luck and
happy coiling.

With just two plates with these dimensions you will be far below the
nF range. Without calculations, I guess that you will get something
around 50 pF. To get large capacitance in a small size you need the
plates as close as possible.
The cardboard will short-circuit everything and burn immediately...

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz