Re: how much does current matter?

Hi Ben,

Wow, good question. You are correct in that input watts will always be greater than output watts. The only possibility that both output could equal input is if the input were also the output. Anything else, and output is always more.

I don't understand the last statement regarding no need of the transformer. You make a statement there, but you didn't say why you determined this.

As far as max streamer length, well, it's pretty easy. Just measure input watts vs. output streamer length, but note that if you take concentric readings of input V and I, it's not power, it's volt*amps which really doesn't tell you much. Some may say it's only about 10 percent off, but that's not accurate. You really need to measure true input watts with a watt meter to determine input watts vs. streamer length. That particular measurement takes into account all factors throughout the system. It's really the only way to determine coil efficiency when spark length is the main factor.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: ben eells <squeels2171@xxxxxxxxx>

In my attempt to build a more powerful tesla coil I have come across this question. How much will the output current of your NST affect the length of your streamers. I'm using the program Tesla map to help design this coil and it calculates the max streamer length by the output wattage of the NST. Unless I'm mistaken output wattage can never be higher than input wattage. If this program is correct, and I'm sure it's not, I wouldn't need a transformer at all. So what is a better way to determine max streamer length given the output voltage and current of a NST?