Re: prony brake

Prony brakes are not for the unwary user! I had an interesting experience once as I watched somebody using a prony brake; thing seized up and stuff was flying everywhere. Motor under test was a 5 hp single phase jobby (mighty large for single phase) and there was a lot of energy stored in the rotor. Use of a generator on bearings works fine and is a lot safer. You vary the load on the generator to vary the shaft torque, or use a fixed load and vary the field current. The torque is measured with a spring scale or balance on the rotatable case.

Ed