Re: design for new capacitor

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Dr. Adriano Mollica" <adriano.mollica@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello list,

i just bought on ebay a certain quantity of douple faces copper fiber glass
plate for very cheap.

i will like to use them to make a capacitor, and i believe that it is
possible.

But i'm worring about the design. infact, every single plate is already a
little capacitor "as is", and if i'm right , the thickness of the
fiberglass will be 1.6 mm, that is very big (this will lead to a high
punture voltage resistance , but low capacity).
So , how should i connect the plates one to another in parallel
cinfiguration trying to avoid any "corona" , and external spark? and so on,
considering that the plates will be in a number of 20-40 and i cannot
overlap them due the double face!!!

Any ideas?

bye bye

Not enough information there to understand what you plan to do. If you're talking about using its individual sheet as a capacitor (connect to the copper on each side) then you are probablyi in for a disappointment. I tried doing this a number of years ago, using glass-epoxy boards with 1 mil copper on each side. I etched about an inch of foil away all around the edges. I would have to look up the data on board thickness and capacitance per 12" square plate, but the main message is that the loss was very high and I didn't think it was worth going any further.

Ed