Re: Fwd: Reducing tank capacitance

Hi,

I have a Maxwell cap rated at 0.03uF / 30,000V for my 15/60 powered coil. I would like to get total capacitance down to around 0.02uF. My question is can this be done by adding a MMC string in series with the Maxwell - i.e., can you mix different types of caps to get the desired value?

Sure! You can always string caps together with appropriate ratings to reduce the capacitance. If the voltages and currents are safe, it is just a matter of series capacitor values.

Or should I just build a complete MMC to 0.02uF & replace the Maxwell entirely?

It might be "easier" just to make a whole new MMC cap at the value you wish rather than to make an MMC "fixer upper series cap". It seems bad just to throw your old cap on the self, but no technical reason not to just make a whole new one if it is just as easy...

Cheers,

        Terry