From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 1:43 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Capacitor

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor@xxxxxxxxx>

Yes, too much capacitance is bad - for 2 reasons.

First, the NST that you're using is going to have a hard time charging a
capacitor that large sufficiently.  Second, it's going to be hard to
tune the coil with that capacitor - you'll need very few primary turns.
At the very least, I would put the two caps in series so you'll have
0.11uF.  Stil quite a bit too large for that transformer, but closer!

Lastly, I don't know about the suitability of those caps for TC use.
Generally, X-ray caps are DC filter caps only and aren't designed for
the high peak currents that they will see in a TC tank circuit.

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL