SISG Testing

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

All:

I put a scope on the SISG coil over the weekend.  It is running at 1000
BPS!(Range 800 to 1200 BPS)

Terry and I had begun to suspect this last week.  Everything is working
as it should.  Coil resonates at ~180 KHz.  I will try to get waveforms
available for viewing later this week.

At 1000 BPS, the TC wants more power than I can give it with my
transformers and that is why I am running such high current.  I don't
currently have a way to feed the beast more power so...

I am trying to increase the impedence of my transformers which would
reduce the charge rate of the tank cap and reduce the BPS of the SISG
thus reducing power input.

Last nite I removed the shunts from one of my MOT's and installed much
longer homemade shunts in its place.  By varying the number of shunt
laminations I found that I could dramatically change the transformer
impedence.  For example, with the secondary shorted and 12 VAC on the
primary, I draw 2 amps on the primary with the standard shunts in place.
By placing (14) of my longer laminations in place of the shunts I
dropped the current to 1 amp.  Thus, I doubled the impedence.

Anybody have any experience in this area?   If I make this change on all
(4) MOT's do you think that this will cut my TC current draw in half?
Thanks.

Mark