Re: the back of secondary winding

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Be careful with the soap --- some of the phosphates are also good conductors. The residue might be a conductor. Water, with it's usual plethoria of dissolved minerals, is usually conductive especially with high potentials and RF frequencies.

Sounds like your cleaning method has worked well for you though.

Dr. Resonance

Hi Russ,

I coat my coils similar in manner as Dr. R., however, I use Marine Spar Varnish (AC-43 I believe is superior from a dielectric standpoint and Spar Varnish is superior from a elastic standpoint). I wouldn't coat while winding. It just sounds unnecessary. For myself, coating involves (1) sealing the form prior to winding and (2) applying a nice smooth outer coating after winding. Almost all coils are close wound. The coating will do little for turn to turn arcing (this shouldn't occur anyway). The coating will however help with corona, help prevent contaminants from handling, and help prevent buildup of moisture between turns. The voltages levels of primary and secondary strikes are usually high enough that penetration to the winding is possible if a point charge on the winding is the source. It would take a large coating to prevent that type of damage. Early on I caused a turn to short about 3/4 up on the secondary on a 13" diameter coil due to a secondary strike. It charred 1 turn and also charred the varnish around that turn (easy to fix however). I haven't had that occur since. Tuning I believe was the reason. I had that "throw as much power at the beast as possible" attitude. Fine for a tuned coil. Not so fine for a poorly tuned coil.

It should be noted in this thread, that the greatest damage to a coil is a coil that is not tuned correctly and/or a coil where breakdown between primary and secondary is occurring (even periodically). Do whatever is required to stop this (reduce coupling if necessary, but start with tuning).

Before I fire up my coils, I am disciplined to wash the coil down to remove dust and handling contaminants. Sometimes with a simple wet rag, and other days, with soap and water. The smooth surface on a coated coil is very helpful here. Towel dry and allow a little time for any remaining moisture to air dry before firing it up.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Russell L Thornton <Russell.L.Thornton@xxxxxxxx>

Would someone kindly explain to me the process and purpose of varnishing the windings of the secondary? Specifically, it seems to me that when we are varnishing the coil form raw and letting that cure and then varnish again after we wind the wire then the back of the wire still remains vulnerable with just the enamel insulation of the wire. Of course this assumes close spaced winding. Or am I just not seeing the purpose of this exercise. If we were doing this for insulation purposes I would like to put a layer of varnish on the form mounted to the winding mechanism and while still wet wind the wire.
What's up here?

Russ,
Monitoring Lightning at the Cape