Re: Power factor correction

Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Am I missing something?

An ideal transformer for a modest Jacob's ladder is an oil burner transformer of the 10KV / 30mA type. To do a Jacob's ladder thing, that is the best XFMR to use. For that, there also is no need for ballasting. An oil burner transformer is designed to produce a continuous spark.

Any Jacob's ladder that I have made draws about 3 amps from the 120V AC line with NO ballasting using an oil burner transformer.

An X-Ray transformer is the wrong transformer for your application.

Skip