Little SISGs

Hi,

I made some little SISG spark gaps today. One single unit is the original 2nd generation test unit and the three section unit is for my new little research coil:

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/SISG-Small.jpg

I just glued some 1.4 x 2.0 x 0.125 aluminum chunks for heat sinks. It is 4 watts max in the hottest mode but there will be a fan blowing over them anyway. I just used the first prototype boards I had laying around with a few mods. I just sawed the fourth section off. The three section does 2400V at ~400 amps in this case. I jumpered out the upper left SIDAC position to lower the voltage a bit to keep a single MOT power supply out of saturation.

Not the world's greatest performing coil, but should be very nice for "test things" ;-))

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/SmallSISG-1.gif

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/SmallSISG-2.gif

http://drsstc.com/~sisg/files/SISG-coil/

A big 10k 225 watt resistor for ballast... DC MOT coils are odd about how to set them up, so I went with the "simple"...

So getting back to the "original" coil project now ;-)) It would be cool to run this coil in some "dungeon" somewhere till it "blows up"... There is no obvious failure mode... With four 0.1uF CD caps, the MMC should last fine and far past the 75 hour max stress point... Six 0.15uFs take it to the fan's 5 year wear out...

Scott - I still got your stuff and I have not forgotten - I just took a "big" detour ;-))))

Cheers,

	Terry