Re: Sizing capacitors

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Another interesting formulation is matching the transformer to the capacitor size.

Imagine if you have a variac to adjust the voltage and another variac to adjust the current, ie, an adjustable series inductor on the primary side of your pole xmfr / PT xmfr.

For initial testing you might set the xmfrs impedance equal to the impedance of the capacitor bank. Use a climbing arc to set the current to a certain value, ie, perhaps 30 Amperes. Knowing the 30 amp current value on the primary side using 220 volts you can calc. the power in the system The, using the 14,400 volt sec xmfr value you find the sec. current value. You then use this value to match the capacitive reactance value and you have the resonant match value for the xmfr - cap bank. Go slightly above this value to prevent undesireable xmfr to cap resonance, usually 1.3 to 1.4 times the capacitive match value at resonance.

Now, here is where the interesting part begins.

Set up a current meter on the primary side and monitor the primary amps. Increase the voltage control variac to 89-90% and then adjust the current control (series variac) for 25-30 amps. As power is applied to the coil system, at some point, you will notice the current actually begin to decrease even as you increase the voltage control variac. In ham radio, tuning linear amps, this was referred to as "dipping the plate current at resonance". The current will decrease as the voltage variac (power into the system is increased). There is a "tuning dip" on the ammeter at this point.

This tuning point is the most efficient operating point for a classic spark gap Tesla coil system. As you increase the power into the system the amps will again start to rise. Slightly above the "tuning dip" point is the point at which the sparks will be their longest with a reasonable minimum of input power for any given system. Longer sparks can be produced above this current input point, however, a lot more power is required and the system is not operating in an efficient mode, ie, you have increased the power factor above the unity point and this is an area where classic Tesla coils do not operate very smooth. They become current hogs and try to saturate the current controller and produce audio "thumps" in the current and voltage variacs.

This is what I refer to as "tuning the power supply to the system" and will give you a reliable indication of the most efficient power input (current level especially) for your given system. It's an experiment worth doing at least once to determine where the "resonant current dip" point is for your system. Then you can adjust the number of turns on your series power reactor to prodvide this proper level of current just as your voltage variac reaches 100% on it's scale.

Up to approx 35 Amps a single variac provides voltage control for this experiment while a single variac in series with the pole xmfr pri provides the current control. If you are running a 0.1 uF to 0.2 uF cap bank then you will need a dual variac for the voltage control and another dual variac for the current control to determine this tuning point. After this experiment is conducted you will know the best current for your system and the second current control variac is eliminated and the turns are adjusted on the primary series reactor to provide this "dip current" or slightly above (10% is usually very good for performance). This is the best way to determine the proper amount of current your current reactor / pole xmfr system should be providing to your system.

Then, matching the impedance to determine the resonant value capacitance, and increase this value by 1.3 x Cres and you will have a very nice performing system. Values up to 1.6 Cres do work but they produce sparks with more of a "capacitive discharge" and don't seem to be as active as the sparks off a toroid at 1.3 x Cres value.

Dr. Resonance

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Terry!  Very helpful as usual.  I suppose my
doubts about the transformer <==> capacitor
formulation come about because it seems to me that a
capacitive load on the transformer is going to have a
crummy power factor, thus rendering the transformer VA
incompatible with the coil Watts value.

Is that true?  In other words, to use 290nF would mean
200W effective power from the transformer, but the VA
would be higher, right?  If I'm way off, just shut me
up! :-))  Otherwise, what I guess I was asking was
this:  How would one go about choosing a cap for a
given VA, or otherwise so as to avoid exceeding some
rated peak current.  Again, this is a PT and probably
can take a few times its rated 200VA...guess I'm just
interested in "getting the math" instead of surviving
on "rules of thumb" as I have for years now.

Regarding "resonance" and "DC"...duh!  My brain was
obviously already in bed when I went off on LTR/STR.
I'd actually *love* to know how those values were
computed for NSTs, etc., but if you recall sending it
to the list or posting it somewhere, I'll just look
harder :-)

Good night (for me!) -
Aaron, N7OE