Re: Second First Light

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 6/16/06 8:25:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Moving the secondary closer to the primary should increase the spark length?

Tom,

Yes, provided you don't get racing sparks.

Adding a second torroid would increase the spark length?

Yes, especially a larger toroid.  This only works up to a point.
At some point of toroid-largeness, the spark length won't increase
any more for a given input power.

Does better ground increase the spark length? Currently using 2x4' pipes

Probably makes no difference.

There's one oddity with this coil. It would seem that it operates
much better with the quenching off or very low RPM than with it on at
max speed. I was under the impression that the better the quenching,
the bigger the spark.

If you apply too much air from a fan or air-blast, it will prevent
the gap from firing properly.  This is probably what's happening
and is a different issue than quenching.

Additionally, my sparks, while long are very faint. How can I get
shorter, "fatter" streamers?

A larger toroid will generally give brighter sparks.  There may
be other things going on also.  Are the sparks purple or blue?
Too much purple indicates poor operation of the coil.

John

Cheers,

Tom H.