To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: exploding wire

At 07:54 PM 6/13/2006, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

approx 3 kJ/ft of wire, so you should be able to blow up a 35 ft long wire approx #28 AWG.

I suspect that such a long wire would have high enough inductance that the voltage required to get the current high enough, fast enough, would be quite large. There's more to exploding wires than just energy.
Time to configure those capacitors into a Marx...

I'm building up a 168 kV DC power supply using an X-ray xmfr to charge up a 200 kV one uF capacitor bank for our open house explosions on Sept. 9th. See you there!

Dr. Resonance

I have a 25kv 330uf cap bank (103,000 joules) I wonder how big a wire I could use..