Re: ScanTesla7.62 :-))

Hi,

I am not too surprised the streamer capacitance is a little higher in the small grounded area he was in. Just like the coil itself, streamer capacitance depends some on the surroundings. For 36 inch arcs and a 8 inch topload"

C = (36 - 8) / 6 = 4.66pf total or 1.55pF/foot But Steve was getting 2.7pF/foot.

The frequency drops from 62.7kHz to 56.3kHz which is mostly capacitive. If the secondary is 10" x 30", 1700 turns, that works out to 209.4mH.

C1 = 30.77pF C2 = 38.16pF So the difference is 7.4pF or 2.46 pF/foot. The added roughly 1pF/foot is within what one might expect given the streamer's surroundings. For the 100k vs. 220k difference... I have no idea... Of course, if Steve's numbers work better, use them!!

Gerry said:

Hi Terry and dest,

An additional question is why is the 100K (Terry's 220K) in series with the added streamer capacitance and not in parallel?? It seems like two affects are happening. One is a frequency reduction and the other is a Q spoiling effect. Attaching an added capacitor to ground will effect the frequency reduction and adding a resistance to ground will spoil the Q.

It might be possible to model it that way. The case of no streamer = no load would make both values dependent on streamer length.

In a "real" streamer, is it not the case that the streamer channel is relatively low resistance so the streamer capacitance shows up as additional capacitance to ground for the topload?? And is it not the case that most of the power being dissapated in the streamer is at the streamer tip where the streamer is "burning" a new path??

Yes.

If the Q spoiling was constant with streamer length, then R in parallel with C may be the right topology. If the Q spoiling was a function of streamer length, then maybe having R is series with C would be the right topology.

Perhaps.  The model I use is all based on this:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1998/October/msg00290.html

Cheers,

        Terry

Gerry R.

At 01:11 PM 6/11/2006, you wrote:
Hallo Terry, it looks like you are not receiving some messages too, so i
repeat one of them : )

> > Original poster: Vardan <vardan01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> But "right now", there is the model of "1pF/foot+220K" and the
> dynamic (the "first" dynamic) model, at least for coiler's...

> I am sort of amazed at how long and successful "1pF/foot+220K" lasted
> and still rules today (five years...)!!!

how about this:

http://www.scopeboy.com/tesla/experiment/index.html

"Using Terry Fritz's idea of a fixed resistance in series with (X pF
per foot) I get 100k + (2.7pF/foot) which is not really anything like
Terry's 220k + (1pF/foot). Are my calculations wrong? Is Terry's model
wrong? Or are Scottish streamers just thicker and hairier?"

who is rules today - Dr. Mc Steve or Terry? : ) and what was the real
reason for 100k & 2.7pico?

-----
Let the bass kick! =:-D