Re: A new mini-coil competition winner!

Original poster: "Karl L." <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mike,

You're right, of course. I was finally able to scope the gap firing, and I found this: At low variac setting (25 - 40%), the gap fires less than 120 bps. At mid variac (~ 40-60%) gap fires exactly every 1/2 AC cycle. At high variac setting (60 - 100%) the gap fires twice in quick succession, then rests until next 1/2 AC cycle. I tries measuring the current with my kill a watt meter, but it is overwhelmed by the RF hash on the line and shuts down. With no secondary or caps in the circuit, the NST draws about 140 - 168 watts.