Re: buying a pole pig

Original poster: Don Murray <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Justin,
What the Y means is that if you are going to connect that transformer to a 12470 volt system you must connect it Y. Each end of that Y is one phase of a 12470 volt system and each leg of the Y would be one 7200 volt coil. On a delta system each corner of the triangle is one phase of a 7200 volt system and each side would be a 7200 volt coil. Draw it out and you will see. What determines if we Y or delta the high side is coil rating and primary voltage, if they are the same it will be delta, if primary is higher it will be Y or star as they are the same. And what determines if you get a delta or Y low side is the service voltage you want. If you want 120/240 it will be delta, if you want 120/208 it will be Y.

On the high side of a Y connected bank of transformers you don't always ground it. Some times you let it float. And you don't always have to have 3 transformers, you can have open delta and open Y with 2 transformers.

I have some transformer connections on my web page that I put up for a discussion on a usenet group, thought they might help some. The Scott connection at the bottom of the page is for 3 phase to 2 phase. They take special transformers and are pretty rare.

http://murrayranch.com/Electricity.htm

Don

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Justin <rocketfuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,
Just an update, here are the specs on the pig:
15KVA
Rated Volts: 7200/12470Y        120/240
2.2% impedence
Orto Filled
http://jay.g-cipher.net/pig2.jpg
http://jay.g-cipher.net/pig1.jpg

I'm curious what the Y means in the "12470Y"...any ideas?

Thanks as always!
Justin