Re: space winding?

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

We used 6, 8, 10, and 12 inch diameters for our NST experiments. Wonder why your results were different??

Dr. Resonance

>Running a 12/60 NST you will see less performance, not more.  Less
>number of turns, lower inductance and hence less output per lineal
>foot of coil winding.  The trade-off is resistance vs
>inductance.  Beyond 1,400 turns no gains --- we have tested various
>coils up to 3,200 turns and gained nothing above 1500 turns.
>
>Dr. Resonance

Interesting, what diameter secondary coil were you experement with?

I built several 6" close wound secondary coils once, one with 1000 turns, one with 1250 turns, one with 1500 turns. I tested each secondary coil on the same primary coil using the same cap, same spark gap, same power supply, same top load. Power was 15K 90ma. I retuned the primary and spark gap trying to get best output and even swapped out top loads the 1000 turn secondary performed the best. Next I built and tried a 900 turn, 700 turn and 500 turn secondary coil and the 900 turn secondary worked the best. Next I compaired the 900 turn coil to the 1000 turn coil and could not tell any difference they both worked about the same. After that I built all my secondary coils with 950 turns close wound copper wire.

I did this experement with only 1 tesla coil using a variety of different 6" secondary coils. I never tried this experement with my 4" TC or my 8" TC the results might be different or could be the same.

Gary Weaver