Re: space winding?

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

Running a 12/60 NST you will see less performance, not more. Less number of turns, lower inductance and hence less output per lineal foot of coil winding. The trade-off is resistance vs inductance. Beyond 1,400 turns no gains --- we have tested various coils up to 3,200 turns and gained nothing above 1500 turns.

Dr. Resonance

I once read a nylon fishing line could be wound on a secondary coil along with an enamel coated copper wire. Give the finished coil 1 coat of polyurthane and let it dry. Unwind and remove the nylon fishing line then give the coil another coat of polyurthane. There is an optimum spacing for each wire size and coil design. The extra spacing will increase the voltage rating of the secondary coil. I think if you do so research and do the math you can probably calculate the best Q of a given coil. Not sure how much noticable improvement you will actually be able to see in the performance of that coil. The extra voltage rating might be helpful in high power coils and not so helpful in small low power coils.

Gary Weaver