RE: Toroid cores for GDTs

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am a bit surprised that the ones you showed are that much better since the design looks identical except for the mounting base.

Hey Skip,

You're dead right, the LSE transformer looks identical to one of our home-built GDTs. I don't know why they measure so differently- maybe James's inductance bridge was over-optimistic or something?

Or maybe LSE's inductance meter couldn't measure anything smaller than 0.47uH ;-) It does seem very high considering the geometry of the thing: my 10" single turn OLTC primary was 0.60uH, and I don't see any 10" loops of wire dangling out of that GDT.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/