Re: cornell or cornel? : )))

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

> for comparison - this is russian hv cap for my marxgen (25kv, 2.2nF):
>
> http://himplast.ru/father_dest/temp/c(r)aps/russian.jpg
> http://himplast.ru/father_dest/temp/c(r)aps/russian2.jpg
>
> design is the same, but their body is _much_ stronger and don`t have
> so much defects.

Hah, ive used those same Russian caps.  Couldnt tin the leads unless i
had an extra hot soldering iron tip, the leads are stuck in off center
(they are just tab inserts for the plate connection), and the leads
break after just a few bends.  The CDE caps are far higher quality
build in my opinion.  Also, you speak of only a few thin layers of
tape for insulation, well, the CDEs are only 2kV caps, while those
Russian caps are 25kV with a very similar outer casing?!  Dont tell me
that you find that acceptable as well??   Many of the caps i had from
Russia did also have defects (usually flat spots on the side, where
the winding was dented maybe?).  Also, having unrolled both a CDE cap
and the Russian caps, i found a few wrinkles in the Russian cap's
dielectric, i have never seen that with the CDEs.

But, i dont even see the point of this whole topic, just wanted to
comment about my experience with these 2 specific types of capacitor.

Steve