Re: 48KWATT DRSSTC Warmup

Hi,

The peak current of the caps is well known and specified. You make a string, that joins a buss, that joins a larger buss, maybe... No reason to make a copper buss larger than the primary coil tubing ;-)))

Like little streams joining a river that joins a canal that joins an ocean... No worries ;-))) It can all be easily worked out. You can also work out what happens if a cap fails which may actually be worth while in a large MMC... But the "strings" limit fault current, so it might be a wash anyway... The bleeder resistors just even the voltage stress out in a failure. If it's really a bad one, the skinny leads will fuse it out ;-))

Inductances work down happily too with many parallel strings...

It is probably a matter of cost. But the cost new full rated Tesla coil caps starts at about $1000... That is like 400 MMC caps!!! I "know" how to break the single $1000 cap >;-)) But I doubt I could find the means to seriously break a 400 unit MMC!!!! Maybe run it over at 90 MPH with the car....

In Christopher's case, the RMS load on the electrolytic buss caps is probably the concern and not the MMCs... Tip - A piece of cardboard can easily shield the rest of the electronics and make "cleanup" MUCH easier if one blows its guts out... But usually, big buss caps fail rather calmly... They either blow the vent or might blow a quarter size hole in the side. Fuses and breakers easily kick in fast... Not a big deal, other than suddenly needing "another" one ;o)) Little caps are far more dramatic...

MMC still have the advantage that we know very well how exactly hard we can push them and we can calculate what the stress will be. There are really no "unknowns" to that... We can easily test them on an individual basis if we want for a few bucks... They test right spot on to what we expect and to how they are specified and rated... I have never seen really valuable good specs for a commercial cap... Just a bunch of basics and disclaimers.... I wish a commercial cap would say:

Rated voltage = ? - Easy and they all say that
Maximum short term over voltage = ? - OH!!! Don't do that!!! MMCs are about 3500V... 300KHz Dissipation = ? Just the same for MMCs since they would not use poly if it was not a ~100 KHz application... Commercial caps get all weird on us when such things are asked.... Self healing ? MMCs "EASY"!! Commercial caps tend to need an oil spill tray... RMS current = ? Very good info on MMCs... Commercial caps tend to want to know a lot of if, then, unless, but, stuff... It is a simple thing.... Peak repetitive current = ? A simple connection blowout spec that very often plagues commercial caps!!!! Cause their internal connections are often very poor >0:-(( Life (hours) at rated voltage (60 Hz) = ? MMCs at 2kV are 75 hours... Commercial caps require a lot of if, then, unless, but, stuff... and they really don't know... Testing... MMC have been around a "long time" and they work fine. Commercial caps always have that "this "should" work" feel to them... There are 1000 X more MMC caps out there now than commercial caps....

Of course, 99% of us are NOT going to spend $1000 on a Tesla coil cap.... A little MMC starts at about $15 ;-)))

Cheers,

        Terry

BTW - Very excited to hear of such great DRSSTC work out there :-))))))))