Re: wiring for functionality or design

Hi Tim,

No electrical advantage that I know of, but as Gary said, eddy losses can occur if the cap is too close under the coil. However, for safety reasons with kids, just keep the coil out of reach (however you do it). There's already been one death of a baby from a coil (special circumstances why that occurred that irritates me to even think about). Don't take even take the risk. Moving the cap towards the center is not the solution.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Timjroche@xxxxxxx
fellow members,
Is there any electrical advantage, anywhere in the system, to wiring your tank cap so one leg is the adjustable tap of primary? As form follows function, and my function being safety (do not for my personal safety, but those itchy fingers of a 15 month old), my cap ended up being centered under my coil with a nice short connection to inner end of primary. is this bad?

thanxs,
Tim