RE: Toroid cores for GDTs

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>

I second that.
You'll have to wind your own for this type of application.  Off the
shelf gate transformers will generally not cut it.

Dan

Skip,

While i havent had direct experience with buying GDTs, i have heard of
others who have bought GDTs and their performance was rather
insufficient for SSTC work.  They had too much leakage inductance mainly
because the cores were small, requiring many many turns of wire.Also
they did not interleave the wiring, but rather 2 seperate windings were
wound on the E-I core.

Winding a GDT on a toroid, with a twisted group of wires is very easy to
do, and the results are usually very good.  You can even make your own
customized shielded wire packs for even higher coupling between
windings.

Steve

 > Original poster: Skip Malley <skip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 >
 > Silly question!!  Why not just buy a gate drive transformer?  It is a
> fairly standard part.  What is your intended circuit?  What is your  >
peak to peak driving voltage and frequency?  >  > Skip  >  > At 01:33 AM
1/25/2006, you wrote:  > >Original poster: "Herwig Roscher"
<herwig.roscher@xxxxxx>  > >  > >  > >Jan Wagner, Steve Conner, Steve
Ward,  > >  > >Thank you very much for your advice. It will help me to
design the  > >correct GDTs of course.  > >  > >  > >