Re: Help with making SRSG phase control work?

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx
Phil,

I am using an Oriental Motor purchased from C & H Sales. Salient pole, 1,800 rpm, 1/25 H.P. It has several wires coming from the motor, so you can reverse direction. For discussion, let's say it just has three. #1 and #2 to to the AC line and there is a 3.0 ufd 400 volt capacitor connected from #2 to #3.

So you want to add a capacitor directly across the AC line terminals at the motor (#1 & #2 above) and use the variac, center terminal and one end as you described, in series with the AC line coming in. You will need to do several tests, trial and error, to select the right capacitor. It depends on your variac and the motor. I am using a 10A variac. You want to see about a 5 volt resonant voltage rise on the input to the motor over the full range of the variac. For my set up, the capacitor selection was very critical. I ended up with 17.86 ufd.

My large coil uses a 1/2 H.P. motor and a 10 amp variac and 254 ufd of capacitance.

Good luck,

Ed Sonderman