Re: spark gap

Hi Jim,

Yes, I suppose I agree that the object will reach equilibrium, but air time is a factor that should be considered. The slow rise to temp for a large mass in comparison to a small one (tube) is greatly hampered by external cooling. The gap stays cool longer and can remain cool enough indefinitely if enough air is supplied (the same goes for a tube). I've let it run about 30 minutes non-stopped without any noticeable diminishing of spark length or behavior with a 12/60 NST.

I may expand upon this brass gap idea. The brass rod stock I captured off of eBay is 5/8" diameter. It might be fun to try and drill a series of holes in the brass just to increase surface area or maybe experiment with adding fins 90 deg out on each side away from the electrode arc face. I'm more or less simply curious if a relatively high current static gap can be easily built off of the idea.

The coiler who started this post was talking about a static gap for a 120mA NST. 120mA is high enough where a RSG would be a smarter choice (IMHO) to maximize gap stability.

Take care,
Bart